Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No-Sew Fleece Blanket


This is one of my favorite crafts that I enjoy making! It's easy, fast, super warm and it makes a wonderful gift, especially for a baby shower. What I really like the most about this is that there is such a large variety of  the types you can make.  I have made some as large as 3 yards, and as small as 1/2 yard for a doll blanket. As my girls would say, "our babies get cold too".  My girls and I love cuddling up with them on the couch on a cold winters day to watch a movie.

Doll Blanket- Half a yard
Baby Blanket- 1 yard
Toddler/Child Blanket- 1 1/2 yards
Adult Throw Blanket- 2 yards
Over sized- 3 yards 

Once you have decided on what size you would like to make it's time to head to the store to pick out some fabrics. The first thing I do is pick out  my print, and then I select a solid that will bring out the colors in the print.  Most of the time at either Walmart or Joann's Fabrics you can get some really great prices. The last one I made was a baby blanket for a baby shower gift. The print was $4.23 a yard and the solid was $2.23 a yard, totaling only $6.46 for a beautiful handmade gift!! Woohoo!!! I loved this because it left me room in my budget to pick up some other cute baby items for her.  Now on to the supplies you will need.

A Ruler & A Fabric Scissors...That's it :)

1. Lay solid fabric out ( on floor or bed)
2. Lay print right on top of your solid fabric
3. Cut and trim both layers all the way around so that they are even with each other. 4. Cut a 4x4 square corner, cutting through both layers. Then proceed to do this on all four corners.
5. Now your ready to cut your tie strips, starting from one corner, I like to use my thumb as a guide I hold both layers and measure from the top of my thumb to my knuckle for the width of the cut, the length will be the same as your corner 4", make this cut over and over until all sides are cut.
6. Yay!! Your almost done. To start tieing start on the 3rd strip from the corner ( you will go back to tie them at the end).When you get to one end of a side also stop on the 3rd strip before the end.  Do this all the way around. A dubble knot is fine, you can tie so all the print shows on the solid side or tie any way you like. I fine it looks good either way.
7. Just tie all corners..


No comments:

Post a Comment